I’m a traditionally trained graphic designer with an Interactive and Product Design focus. I’m also a big nerd.
I have strong typographic skills, and I can make books, posters, and all the other things we graphic designers do, but what I’m really in to is interactive.
For the last 4 years I’ve worked at Adobe Systems on the Adobe Design (formerly XD) Studio Team as a Designer and Prototyper. Studio is a future facing team tasked with finding gaps in Adobe’s product offerings and researching design solutions. I’ve also had the opportunity through Adobe to work on probono projects for a number of San Francisco museums.
I’ve always come at things with that perspective of, ‘I’ll probably figure it out.’ So far that seems to be working.
I’m well versed in the languages of the web, HTML / CSS / JS, and I’m also very familiar with Processing and Arduino, node.js, as well as Objective C and Swift. I know enough C++ to be dangerous. I’ve coded for physical interfaces, built battery powered analog radio transmitters, scripted 3d animations, built a solenoid powered remote button pusher (don’t ask), and of course I built the CMS for this site.
Recently I’ve had more opportunities to lead projects on my team at Adobe working with mixed disciplines, and it’s been an exciting opportunity to grow up.
I’m a big believer in learning by getting into something and figuring out what I’m doing wrong. Most projects offer plenty of opportunities for ‘learning’.
I know the way you make good work is by researching, trying things, and throwing out what isn’t working and trying again. I’m not one to just throw things at the wall without knowing why I’m doing it, or learning something.
Thoughtfully brute force, I guess.
- Well versed with Creative Suite (Current to CC)
- Experienced with InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere, After Effects.
- Good hand skills, can cut straight lines without slicing off a thumb. See thumbs.
- Know HTML / CSS / JS, node.js, Processing, and ObjC / Swift.
- Pick up programming languages / environments quickly.
- Can administer a server and work git.
- Can solder as well as any designer.
- Experienced working in a studio, plays well with others.